Below are some wonderful recipes that show what you can do with Haskap Berries. Also check out our blog and YouTube videos for more ideas and info!
A Call For Haskap Recipes___________
½ cup crushed berries
3 tbsp. cider vinegar
½ cup olive oil
½ tsp. sugar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
Salt to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend well. Pour into well sealed containers. This vinaigrette is very good on greens of any kind or try with a wild rice & walnut salad.
- Commercially available pectin products work very well with haskap berries. Just follow the instructions for blueberry jam.
- Try the low sugar jam made with the commercially available low sugar pectin products.
HASKAP PIE FILLING
Haskap berries have twice as much juice in them as any other berry! We have found that frozen berries works better for pie filling instead of the fresh berry. If you use the fresh berry they tend to continue to leak out juice after baked.
4 cups of frozen Haskap berries
1 ½ cups sugar
4 tbsp. cornstarch
¼ cup of strained juice.
- Place the frozen berries in a colander to thaw and drain overnight.
- Save the strained juice. One option is to mix the juice with sparkling water on ice with a sweetener of your choice for a refreshing drink.
- Place drained berries in a medium saucepan with the sugar
- Bring to a boil , then turn down to a simmer
- Add the cornstarch to the 1/4 c of juice
- Add this slowly to the berry/sugar mixture while it is simmering and stir to thicken
- Cool when thickened and pour into pre baked pie shell
HASKAP JUICE JELLO
½ cup Haskap juice
1 pkg of gelatin powder
1 ½ cups of boiling water
¼ to ½ cup sugar or sweetener of choice to taste
- Dissolve gelatin in Haskap juice in a medium-sized bowl for 10 minutes
- Stir in the hot water and the sugar and stir to combine
- Place in the fridge to set
FRESH HASKAP BERRY CRUMBLE
Heat oven to 350o F.
4 cups of fresh Haskap berries
1 cup sugar or sweetener of your choice
½ cup flour
- Mix berries, sugar and flour in a bowl then transfer to a 9X9” baking dish
1 cup flour (of any kind)
1 cup quick cooking oats
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter
- Mix by hand in a bowl
- Spread over berries in baking dish
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes
HASKAP ICE CREAM
- Prepare any vanilla ice cream recipe that works with your ice cream maker
- Use the custard style but also try with Greek yogurt in the ice cream maker
- Add ½ to 1 cup of Haskap jam to the ice cream mixture
- Continue to follow ice cream machine instructions
HASKAP BERRY CHUTNEY
Very good with pork, wild meat, sausage or any kind of cheese or cream cheese on crackers. Also try as a topping for baked Brie cheese with pecans.
3 cups of fresh or frozen Haskap berries
1 large onion
1 green apple
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup of sultana raisins
½ tsp each of cinnamon, allspice, curry powder, ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium to large saucepan
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking until it has reduced down enough to become slightly thickened
- Ladle into sterilized jars OR cool down and freeze in small portions
HASKAP SPINACH SALAD
- ½ cup of crushed Haskap
- 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ½ tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of powdered Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in vinaigrette shaker.
Pour over 1 bag of spinach greens, 1 cup of coarsely ground pecans and ½ of a chopped red onion. Makes enough for 8 servings.
HASKAP PORK ROAST
Cut Pork Loin roast in a butterfly manner.
In a bowl mix the following:
- 1 cup of Haskap berries
- ¼ cup of honey
- ½ cup of finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp of tapioca (Blend into Haskap juice)
- 1 tbsp of crushed Tarragon leaves
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp of Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
Spread the Haskap mixture over the pork.
Roll the roast back up and pin with toothpicks.
Roast the meat in oven at 325 F for about 45- 60 minute.
Goes great with quinoa.
HASKAP BERRY SMOOTHIE
- 1 cup of frozen Haskap
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of yogurt
- ½ cup of sour cherry juice
- ¼ cup of hemp bits
- ¼ cup of honey
- 8 ice cubes
Blend in mixer until consistent texture.
Makes 4 servings.