Haskap Pie Filling
Haskap berries have twice as much juice in them as any other berry! We have found that frozen berries works better for pie filling instead of the fresh berry. If you use the fresh berry they tend to continue to leak out juice after baked.
- 4 cups of frozen Haskap berries
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¼ cup of strained juice.
- Place the frozen berries in a colander to thaw and drain overnight.
- Save the strained juice. One option is to mix the juice with sparkling water on ice with a sweetener of your choice for a refreshing drink.
- Place drained berries in a medium saucepan with the sugar
- Bring to a boil , then turn down to a simmer
- Add the cornstarch to the 1/4 c of juice
- Add this slowly to the berry/sugar mixture while it is simmering and stir to thicken
- Cool when thickened and pour into pre baked